Camp History

//Camp History
Kilcoo Camp History

In 1932, Charles F. Plewman of Toronto founded Kilcoo Camp on the shores of Gull Lake, in Haliburton County.

As a young camper, John “Chief” Latimer began his career at Kilcoo at the age of eight in 1938 and continued his career as a camper, leader-in-training, counselor and program director until the fall of 1955, when he purchased the camp from Mr. Plewman.

Chief, along with his wife Peggy (Mrs. Chief), directed Kilcoo until 1981. Chief stayed very active with Kilcoo through the years as the directorship was passed down to his son David. On April 22nd 2003, Chief passed away after a short battle with cancer. His passion for Kilcoo is missed, but it will always be celebrated through the joy of time spent at Kilcoo. Peggy (Mrs. Chief) Latimer remains the owner and is still actively involved in managing the business.

David “Lub” Latimer celebrates his 35th year as director of Kilcoo Camp in 2019. David’s wife, Beth, and his brothers Jeffery and Michael also lend their support to the camp and to the Kilcoo community. David and Beth’s children TJ, Charlie, and Brooke also share their passion for camp.

Since 1932, Kilcoo has drawn international campers from all over the world, including campers from the United States, Central and South America, Austria, England, France, Japan, the Netherlands, Germany, and Spain, among several others.

During the past thirty years or so, Kilcoo has enjoyed the continuing loyalty of campers and staff who keep ‘coming back’, creating a waiting list every year.

Kilcoo enjoys its reputation as one of the foremost camps for boys in Canada, it is truly a “Maker of Men”.